@fordnation #StayHome #StaySafe #SaveLives #Ontario #covid19
Ontario Premier Doug Ford has declared a province-wide State of Emergency and imposing a Stay-At-Home Order for at least four weeks. The Stay-At-Home Order takes effect on Thursday, April 8 at 12:01 a.m.
Premier Doug Ford says that he is hopeful that by the time it is lifted approximately 40 percent of Ontario adults will have had at least one dose of COVID-19 vaccine, perhaps representing a turning point in a pandemic that has now dragged on for more than a year.
“The reality is, despite everything we’ve done so far, the COVID-19 situation in Ontario is getting worse as these new variants continue to spread,” said Ford in a press conference on Wednesday, Apr. 7, 2021. “Our hospitals are reaching capacity, and patients in the GTA must now be sent to other parts of the province for care. In fact, we learned yesterday morning, that admissions to ICUs in the past week are increasing faster than the worst-case scenario, predicted by our experts…I can’t stress this enough. Things are extremely, extremely serious right now. And I’m extremely concerned.”
“That’s why, today, on the advice of the Chief Medical Officer of Health, I’m declaring a State of Emergency, with a province-wide Stay-At-Home order effective 12:01 a.m. Thursday. This will be in fact, for four weeks,” said Ford.
Most non-essential retailers will be limited to curbside pickup and delivery only and will not be able to operate outside of the hours of 7 a.m. until 8 p.m.
However, a small number of other businesses will be able to open for in-person shopping on an appointment-only basis, including telecommunication company stores that sell cell phones, businesses that sell motor vehicles and boards, optical stores that sell prescription eyewear, rental and leasing services, and safety supply stores.
The Ford government will also allow in-person shopping at garden stores but only at 25 percent capacity.