Ontario announces $2 million to help Lebanon
Shady Salah – Media in Toronto
Ontario Premier, Doug Ford, announced on Tuesday that his government is providing $2 million to the Canadian Red Cross through the International Disaster Relief Program to help people and families affected by the tragic explosion that occurred in Beirut last week. This is one of the largest contributions the Ontario government has ever made towards an international humanitarian relief effort, according to a press release.
“My heart breaks for the victims and the families affected by this terrible tragedy in Beirut,” said Premier Ford. “Along with Ontario’s Lebanese community, we stand with the people of Lebanon in this time of grief. To support immediate relief efforts, we are providing the Canadian Red Cross with significant financial support so they can assist the people and communities in most urgent need.” The Ontario government’s contribution will help the Red Cross prepare for and respond to humanitarian needs as the situation continues to evolve in Lebanon, including for mobile health outreach. The Red Cross is working to coordinate emergency relief and recovery efforts, getting help to people in affected areas as quickly as possible. “From the moment of the explosion in Beirut, Red Cross personnel have been responding around the clock by providing emergency medical assistance, food, water, masks, gloves and other essential relief items to assist the people impacted by this tragic event” said Conrad Sauvé, President and CEO of the Canadian Red Cross. “We are grateful to the Government of Ontario for their generous financial support, which will help the Red Cross to continue its critical work on the ground in Lebanon. The funding announced today will go a long way to assist with the immediate needs of the individuals and families affected by the explosion, and as they begin their road to recovery.”